The Scotch Malt Whisky Society is the WorldÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s largest whisky club, with branches in 17countries and more than 26,000 members. For more information on the Canadian branch, check outÃ‚Â www.smws.ca .
“Don’t worry about a thing,
‘Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Singin’: “Don’t worry about a thing,
‘Cause every little thing gonna be all right!”
- 121.54:Ã‚Â DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t worry about a thing… – 58.9% – 9 Year – Highland – Refill Ex-Bourbon Barrel – Outturn: 192 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “A fabulously fruity, perfumed nose Ã¢â‚¬â€œ passion-fruit, pineapple,sherbet, mango, cherry, citrus, kiwi Ã¢â‚¬â€œ and much more Ã¢â‚¬â€œ honey,vanilla pod, freesias and leather Ã¢â‚¬â€œ it promised a life of hedonism and beach while Bob Marley sang Ã¢â‚¬ËœDonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t worry about a thing…Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ The unreduced palate was much the same Ã¢â‚¬â€œ a fruity cocktail with ripe mango, coconut milk, lime and gewÃƒÂ¼rtztraminer wine Ã¢â‚¬â€œ with considerable heat. Water reduced the heat but not the flavour intensity Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Ã¢â‚¬ËœFantasticÃ¢â‚¬â„¢, said one panellist; Ã¢â‚¬ËœMy kind of dram!Ã¢â‚¬â„¢said another. The distillery is regularly visited by golden eagles.” Drinking Tip: “Just try it.” - $102.99
- 73.54:Ã‚Â Decadent & delicious - 57.2% – 20 Year – Speyside – Refill Ex-Bourbon Barrel -Ã‚Â Outturn: 214 bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “The nose, delicate and sophisticated, evoked an elegant lady(perfume, leather handbag, silk purse) in a tea-shop with jasmine tea, Battenberg cake, pear tarte tatin, sweet Muscat wine, flowers and pine cones on her table. The palate was rich, decadent and delicious Ã¢â‚¬â€œ buttery fruit cake, jellied fruits, lots of orange(mandarin flan, FryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Orange Cream, orange blossom) and cinnamon spice in the finish. The reduced nose found Oreos, carrot cake, chocolate limes and glorious dark chocolate Ã‚Â raspberry brownie. The palate now rewarded us with soft vanilla fudge, perfumed nectarines, teasing ginger and Old English Spangles. The distillery name means Ã¢â‚¬Ëœbig streamÃ¢â‚¬â„¢.” Drinking Tip: “One for the dimmed lights and soft music,you wicked schemer.” - $164.99
- 76.92:Ã‚Â Ticks all the boxes - 60.1% – 26 Year – Speyside – Refill Ex-Bourbon Hogshead – Outturn: 196 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “TheÃ‚Â mesmerizingÃ‚Â and entrancing nose magicked a seventeenth century New England harvest festival Ã¢â‚¬â€œ hay-cart, horse-drawn carriages, deep fruits, flowers, fruit chutney, pumpkin, nuts Ã¢â‚¬â€œ it oozed fertile countryside and ripe contentment . With water, we found tobacco, dark chocolate, honey nougat, coconut and toasted marshmallows. The palate was Ã¢â‚¬ËœmagnificentÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ and Ã¢â‚¬ËœamazingÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ Ã¢â‚¬â€œ red fruits, nuts, leather, spice, pumpkin pie and dark chocolate with sea salt and caramel; lots of lip-smacking round the table. In reduction, we tasted coconut, whole cherries dipped in chocolate,party rings and iced caramels. Ã¢â‚¬ËœTicks all the boxesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ the Vaultsmaster said, speaking for us all. From DufftownÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s oldest distillery.” Drinking Tip: “A celebration dram, or the perfect end to a perfect day, or just for sharing with special friends.” - $198.49
- 39.82:Ã‚Â Suede shoes walking through clover – 60% – 13 Year – Speyside – Refill Sherry Butt – Outturn: 603 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “The nose conveyed clementines, cherries, sweet and salty popcorn,peppery jamon Serrano, clove-studded ham, a basket of mushrooms and suede shoes walking through clover towards a farm-yard. The palate had peppery, earthy, salty, savoury elements(pork scratchings) yet was surprisingly sweet too, with caramel and toffee popcorn. The reduced nose was floral and carbolic, a child was blowing bubbles and eating candy cigarettes in a sun-dappled pine forest. The reduced palate continued the sweet and salty fascination Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Turkish Delight, rock salt, clove rock, lucky tatties(cinnamon) and a lick of limestone. The distillery was once a safe haven for spiders.” Drinking Tip: “WithÃ‚Â food – and maybe a beer.” - $120.49
- 30.72:Ã‚Â Take a break and have a… - 57.3% – 11 Year – Speyside – Refill Port Pipe – Outturn: 752 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “The initial nose is of scorched brown sugar, fresh coffee beans,rum and raisin ice cream and a burnt walnut loaf dipped into a balsamic vinegar bread dip. It is big, almost mouth numbing, on the palate neat. Sweet and bitter notes of chocolate with 80%cocoa content, cardamom biscuits and a slightly sulphury note like burnt tablet. With water, aromas of leather and wood polish appear as well as caramel sauce, coffee cake and a breeze of salty air! -from a distillery in the heart of Speyside next to a cemetery. The taste is of freshly brewed nut flavoured coffee and a chocolate coated wafer bar.”Ã‚Â Drinking Tip: “During a coffee break.” - $110.99
- 4.166:Ã‚Â Impressions of an Orkney landscape - 54.2% – 20 Year – Island – Refill Ex-Bourbon Hogshead – Outturn: 243Ã‚Â Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “The nose delivered bread toasted on an open fire (brass toasting fork,maybe marmalade) well-fired morning rolls, burnt heather, smoke and embers Ã¢â‚¬â€œ we also got light Orcadian peat and maritime notes, rice crispy squares and marshmallows. The palate was BIG Ã¢â‚¬â€œ light smoke balanced by sweetness; toasted marshmallows, honey-roasted ham with wholegrain mustard, cinnamon spice and oatcakes. The reduced nose evoked the sea Ã¢â‚¬â€œ a tall sailing ship by a rocky coast beyond which breathed heathery perfume. The palate had developed positive tensions between sweetness, mustard and Victory V heat and a boat chandlery. A dram that conveys impressions of its landscape.” Drinking Tip: “By the sea-shore or on a boat.” - $164.99
- 29.121:Ã‚Â Seafood party on the beach – 55.1% – 20 Year – Islay – Refill Sherry Butt – Outturn: 526 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “The initial nose gave coal sacks, beach barbecue wood smoke, ash,Germolene, raisins, toffee and toasted nuts Ã¢â‚¬â€œ before turning Oriental(curry plant leaves, lemongrass, coconut, cinnamon). The beach factor increased with water Ã¢â‚¬â€œ freshly painted boats, beach huts, rock-pools,shells, dunes, seared scallops and smoked bacon in mussel chowder.The palate was very sweet Ã¢â‚¬â€œ coconut, candy, sweet tobacco and langoustines, balanced nicely by cigars and smoke from a driftwood fire. The reduced palate was softer Ã¢â‚¬â€œ now a rich, creamy, texture with savoury flavours of lobster and brown bread with moules mariniÃƒÂ¨res. The distillery was established in 1815 by the Johnston brothers.” Drinking Tip: “A nice outdoors dram – especially on the beach – anytime – with or without food.” - $164.99
The following whiskies are on promotion for the month of March, beginning on the 27th of February. Some of them are limited, so act accordingly. The promotion is as follows:
- 10% off any of the March promotion bottles listed below.
- 12.5% off any two of the March promotion bottles listed below.
- 15% off of three or more of the March promotion bottles listed below.
- 3.189 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 12
- 39.83 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 3
- 106.18 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 5
Past Releases Still Available for Order:
- A4: – $170.99
- 3.188: THE CAMPING TRIP – $130.49
- 3.189: ECHOES OF BONFIRES & FUNFAIRS – $127.49*March Promotion
- 3.193: BABY-FACED ARSONIST - $130.99
- 4.165: SOFT PEAT & SEASIDE PIERS – $174.99
- 4.168: GUNPOWDER, TREASON & PLOT – $139.99 Only 6 left!
- 5.35: LAUNDRY IN THE BAKERY – $116.99
- 7.77: ELEGANT LADIES TAKING TEA – $175.99
- 9.66: MELLOW-DRAM-ATICÃ‚Â - $126.99*March Promotion
- 30.70: VENUS IN FURS – $170.99*March Promotion
- 30.71: BURNT CRUMPET & HIGHLAND TOFFEE – $127.49
- 36.58: CHILLI PORRIDGE SPRINKLED WITH FLOWERS – $102.99
- 37.52: BOTTLED ESSENCE OF GARDENS & ORCHARDS – $102.99
- 39.83: YUMMY & MOUTH-WATERING – $208.99 Just 3 left!*March Promotion
- 41.52:Ã‚Â BOILED SWEETS & PLAY-DOH – $100.99
- 44.53: LIP-SMACKING, CHEWY & CHUNKY – $170.99
- 53.165: PEAT FIRE TOASTED MARSHMALLOWS – $140.49 Only 7 left!
- 53.168: ELASTOPLAST ON A ROASTED TONGUE – $142.99
- 63.27: JAR JAR BINKS IN TROUBLE AGAINÃ‚Â - $88.49*March Promotion
- 73.50: MIDNIGHT ESPRESSO – $160.99 Just 3 left!
- 76.89: A WHISPER OF DECADENCE – $133.99
- 106.18: BOTTLED ESSENCE OF SUMMER: – $197.99 Only 5 left!*March Promotion
- 121.55: BITTER MARMALADE & BOOZY PRUNES – $122.99