On Saturday, February 9th, 2013, the Kensington Wine Market was lucky enough to have one of our favorite wine producers visit us from the Catalan region of Spain, Miquel Coca, or Coca i Fito.Â Our patrons were in for a special treat, as Miquel was pouring wines from all the projects that his brother, Toni, is currently a part of.Â This made for a wonderful Saturday afternoon tasting.
That evening, a few select staff were fortunate enough to attend a dinner with Miquel at Candela Lounge.Â Here, Miquel told stories surrounding the delicious and vibrant wines that bear his name.Â We asked Miquel to explain the idea behind one of my favorite series of wines that the Coca i Fito brothers produce, â€œ Aloja â€œ.Â Miquel explained that Aloja is the name given to the mermaids of Catalan (similar to the sirens of Greek and/or Roman mythology).Â He went on to explain that in Catalan folklore, these mermaids live in the lakes, rivers, and streams of the state, yet can never be seen by the human eye.Â The only time of year one can see these beautiful creatures is during the Summer Solstice (also known as Saint Johnâ€™s day in Spain).Â This is the inspiration for the label on the bottle, which is a series of 3 different, beautiful, vibrant and mysterious women with flowing locks; a label that directly correlates with the delectable juice inside the bottle.
- Coca i Fito Aloja Blanc -Â The Coca brothers are making some of the most exciting wines in Catalonia, a wine region within a day’s drive from Barcelona an enchanting city that should be on everyone’s bucket list. This well-priced white is a blend of 70% Garnatxa Blanc and 30% Macabeo. It’s a winning combination offering fresh clean flavors just begging for a platter of grilled scampi or a mouthwatering array of tapas. - $20.99
- Coca i Fito Aloja – Spain’s Falset Valley may well be the greatest unknown wine region in the world and this Aloja Negre, made by the brother team of Tony and Miguel Coca is among the cream of the Falset crop. A decadent wine, seamless, rich, reminiscnt of a handful of Bing cherries, blackberry liqueur, sugar plums, sage, cocoa, and cafe au lait. The blend of Grenache, Carignan, Cab, with a touch of Syrah is a bit eccentric, but it works! – $20.99
- Coca i Fito Jaspi Blanc – A mineral rich, structured palate that rivals great Chablis or Sancerre but with an abundance of vibrant fruit. This is one of the most exciting Spanish whites we have tasted and if this Grenache Blanc, Macabeo blend is the face of quality modern Spanish wines, then itâ€™s going to be hard for the rest of the wine world to keep up! - $19.99
- Coca i Fito Jaspi Grenache Cabernet – A new world, modern styled red from the Old World. Grenache, Cabernet, Carignan and Syrah make up the blend resulting in big, black cherry, black current fruit flavors, balsamic notes and spice. – $20.99
- Coca i Fito Grenach Carignan 2009 - “Coca I Fito is a blend of 50% Syrah, 30% Garnacha, and 20% Carinena aged for 12 months in French and American oak. Alluring mineral, blackberry, and blueberry aromas lead to a layered, concentrated, spicy, full-bodied, dense wine with several years of aging potential. It will drink well from 2011 to 2020.” Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate gives it 90 points. Gets better with age too! – $39.99
- Coca i Fito Rosa 2011 – Coca i Fito Rosa is made from 100% Syrah. Matured in cherry wood and French oak barrels it shows a vibrant cherry color leading into a lovely fruitness as well as spice and balsamic notes. Lovely any time of the year. - $23.99
- Coca i Fito Maragda – Montsant, like the Priorat, is a remarkably beautiful region with steep mountains rising over 3300 ft. The climate is harsh with very hot summers and bitter winters. The vines are planted directly on the steep hillsides, on what are called “coster” or terraces. Made from a blend of Grenache, Carignan, and Syrah, this gem serves up meaty flavors that quickly melt into sensations of ripe red fruit. Nice spicy finish with balsamic notes. – $26.99