Our November Outturn was released at two sold out tastings tonight. For the month of November, these are the Scotch Malt Whisky Society Canada’s new releases:
- SMWS 30.70: Venus in Furs - 52% – 22 Year – Refill ExBourbon Hogshead – Outturn: 218 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “ï»¿The Panel drew images of a foxy silver haired lady; wearing a musty fur coat. Onthe nose the panel was pleasantly greeted with scents of a traditional perfumecontaining musk. Then with a gentle caress on our cheek with butter soft leathergloves. On the palette we found the rich flavour of well matured Dundee cakewashed down with blackcurrant cordial. With water on the nose we found therewas a medley of orange bitters mixed with dark chocolateâ€™ high in cocoa contentto the point of being almost gravelly in consistency. One panellist found themselvesstuck in a hedge with hooves, horse shoes and fresh mud galloping awayon the finish! It was almost all over too soon.” Drinking Tip: “Pre dinner drink whilst dressing up.” – $170.99 + GST
- SMWS 35.65: Cornish Clotted Cream Ice Cream - 60.3% – 10 Year – Refill Chardonnay Hogshead – Outturn: 267 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “After the initial whiff of a struck match and a distant firework the nose turnedfresh and floral like a rose bush after an April shower. With time deeper andwarmer aromas appear like beeswax, vanilla pods, and chocolate chip cookies.The taste is creamy and buttery reminiscence of honey and maple syrup onFrench crepes. With the addition of water we enter a cake shop with pastries,fruit cakes, sherry trifles and raisin loaves all covered in icing sugar. The tastedoes make you smile like eating a hot fruit raisin buttered scone or CornishClotted Cream Ice Cream dipped in dark Bournville chocolate. This distillery hashad only 5 managers since it opened its doors in 1897.” Drinking Tip: “AfternoonÂ tea with very good friends.” – $112.99 + GST
- SMWS 16.32: Leather Armchairs & Old Wardrobes – 57.2% – 10 Year – Refill Port Pipe – Outturn 796 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “The nose was certainly savoury (salty bacon, roast parsnips, beef in red winereduction) but also sweet (buttery croissants, marmalade, toffee) with hints ofcoke embers, engine rooms, tobacco, struck match, floral notes and â€˜oldwardrobesâ€™. The palate was rich and substantial, oozing unctuous sweetness,but with balancing spiciness â€“ maple syrup, treacle and a Jamaican Christmascake. The reduced nose offered zesty citric peel, candied fruits, salty toffee,leather armchairs and coffee. The reduced palate was an amazing dessert,combining lemon meringue pie, sticky toffee pudding and icing sugar-dustedbiscotti dipped in espresso. The distillery houses the Famous GrouseExperience.”. Drinking Tip: “A kitchen table dram – a perfect reward for all thatcooking and baking.” - $107.99 + GST
- SMWS 66.35: Savoury Smoke & Spicy Sweetness - 58.2% - 9 Year – Refill Sherry Butt – Outturn: 696 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “The nose was a happy collision between savoury smoke and spicy sweetness â€“bacon frazzles, aniseed, clove, cardamom and spiced fruit and nuts. The palateseemed massive â€“ intense smoke and flavours of tar, treacle, cough medicineand honey-glazed ham; also considerable sweetness, mineral notes and someherbal hints too â€“ â€˜absolutely amazing!â€™ We were led by the reduced nose to abarbeque â€“ spiced pork belly, sweet and sour prawns and even barbecuedbananas. The reduced palate displayed beautiful sweetness, reminiscent ofliquorice allsorts and gummi bears, but still that dry, ashy smoke underpinnedthe whole delicious experience. A smoky highlander from Kennethmont.” Drinking Tip: “For the great outdoor – especially wild places.” - $107.99 + GST
- SMWS 3.189: Echoes of Bonfires & Funfairs – 58.4% – 14 Year – Refill Sherry Butt – Outturn: 607 Bottles - Panel’s Tasting Note: “Initial nose impressions of sparklers and struck matches gave way to scentedsticks, manuka honey on buttered toast, flambÃ©ed bananas, parma violets,beurre noisette and shrimps cooked over peat on a sandy beach. The taste couldbest be described as fierce but pleasant â€“ ash, smoke, burnt toffee, toffee apples,echoes of bonfire nights; dry clove and mustard heat to finish. The reduced nosesuggested wellies, rock-pools and funfairs (diesel generators, candy floss,donuts, fireworks, muddy fields). The palate was now sweet (sticky dates, cindertoffee) with earthy undertones and an ashy after-taste. The distillery was oncevisited by the Queen.” Drinking Tip: “While reminiscing about funfairs, festival days andbonfire nights.” – $127.49 + GST
- SMWS 53.165: Peat Fire Toasted Marshmallows – 56.4% – 16 Years – Refill Ex-Bourbon Hogshead – Outturn: 263 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “The nose was multi-layered â€“ medicinal (liniment, plaster-cast, deep heat) â€“sweet (peach syrup, digestive biscuits, heather honey, peat-fire toastedmarshmallows) and meaty (pulled pork) â€“ also damp wool and walnuts. Theunreduced palate had bacon bites, cashmere, camphor, salted almonds,smouldering embers and immense, scrumptious sweetness. The reduced noseconjured up an old-fashioned matron standing at the hospital laundry door â€“while in a parallel dimension we found cooked lobster and ocean spray. Thereduced palate, clean and sweet with muted smoke, had light medicinalelements, cloves, honey, lavender, and Marram grasses waving over moonlitsand-dunes. The distillery looks over the narrows to Jura.” Drinking Tip: “With your lover on the beach at night.” - $140.49 + GST
- SMWS 128.3: Chestnut Puree & New Hiking Boots – 61.3% – 5 Year – First Fill Barrel – Outturn: 229 Bottles – Welsh Single Malt Whisky! – Panel’s Tasting Note: “The nose was sweet and fruity â€“ macerated raspberries, Kirsch, cherry jam, DrPeppers, chocolate-coated cranberries and Haribo mix, but with fudge, toffee,hints of swimming pools and â€˜brake pedals in an ambulanceâ€™. The palate heldsomething deeply rewarding but hard to describe â€“ sweet woodiness; hot, butalso smooth â€“ sumptuous flavours of vanilla slice, banana ice lollies (right to thestick) and milk chews. The reduced nose had evident vanilla, Berwick Cockles,prunes, plums, peaches, chestnut purÃ©e and new hiking boots. The palate nowdelivered exotic fruits (passion fruit, star-fruit) like some long-matured singlemalts. From the only distillery in Wales.” Drinking Tip: “A bit of a surprise dram – use it to create a stir.” - $101.99 + GST *The first bottling from this distillery in Canada!
Only Society members can purchase Scotch Malt Whisky Society bottlings, but anyone can join, and membership does have its priviledges. For more information on the Scotch Malt Whisky Society Canada visit www.smws.ca .