In advance of Friday night’s First Anniversary tasting where we will launch 12 new whiskies, here is the list of the seven whiskies we launched on Friday October 5th. Maybe this will get your appetite whet for Friday!
- 106.18: Bottled Essence of Summer – 56.2% – 27 Year – Refill Ex-Bourbon Hogshead – Outturn: 197 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “Our noses found poignant floral perfumes, shrubberies and pine tree freshness.We also detected ripe fruits (apple, mango), candles, cinnamon, clove andhoney on buttered toast. The palate was chewy and delicious; fragrant wood,flowers and tropical fruits (lychee, apricot, passion fruit) mingled with sweettoffee flavours to draw sighs of contentment from the panel. The reduced nose,with tutti-frutti ice-cream, lime, sawn wood and aromatherapy oils made usthink of warm summer nights. The palate now carried rose and lemon-flavouredTurkish Delight with stem ginger spicy warmth in the tail-flick. The distilleryhouses the spiritual home of Johnnie Walker.” Drinking Tip: “Perfect dram for the first day of your holiday.” - $197.99 + GST
- 105.16: Mulled Cider & Beef Goulash – 55.4% – 28 Year – First Fill Sherry Hogshead -Â Outturn: 134 Bottles -Â Panel’s Tasting Note: “Savoury, spicy aromas of beef goulash, Night nurse, cranberry concentrate,maple-cured bacon, nutmeg, root beer, red grapes, Stollen, lamb gravy, carawayand rye bread made us all hungry. The palate, not as savoury as expected wasthick with cedarwood, spiced apple tobacco and mulled cider. With water wenow smelled celery, mushrooms, plum chutney, sesame, roast turkey &redcurrant jelly although a sweetness of wild strawberries. To taste it was nowminty, dry and chewy with a spiced milky coffee and musty note. We all agreed itwas better neat. From the first purpose built distillery in the twentieth century.” Drinking Tip: “In place of mulled wine.” - $200.99 + GST
- 39.83: Yummy & Mouth-watering – 53.9% – 28 Year – Refill Ex-Bourbon Hogshead -Â Outturn: 197 Bottles -Â Panel’s Tasting Note: “The inviting nose was intensely floral (chrysanthemums, dahlias, elderflower,pot-pourri) but an array of other aromas (mocha, almond cakes, Crunchie bars,painted wood, blueberry bubblegum) suggested a coffee shop and book shopcombination. The palate was rich and warm, giving thick heather honey, sweetcoconut, Sunday roast, flower salad and varnished wood â€“ we were bowledover. The reduced nose continued beautifully perfumed with the coconut ofgorse flowers and sweet and sour Peking duck. The reduced palate becameyummy and mouth-watering, with vanilla, meadowsweet and perfumedelderflower champagne. The distillery, dating from 1824, sits on the easternedge of Elgin.” Panel’s Tasting Note: “To share with best friends.” - $208.99
- 42.10: Straightforward, Sweet & Spicy – 62.7% – 7 Year – Refill Ex-Bourbon Barrel – Outturn: 170 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “Yes it was young â€“ but perfectly enjoyable â€“ we nosed dried grass, flowers,herbs, creosote and soft tar (perhaps in a farmyard context?); also lemonsponge, vanilla, pepper and chocolate Easter eggs in boxes. The unreducedpalate was pretty straightforward, sweet and spicy; specifically milk chocolateand white pepper, along with grass and paper. The reduced nose offered greengrapes, melted vanilla ice-cream, some salt and a â€˜scorched boiler-suitâ€™. Thatsimple balance (donâ€™t look for much complexity) also inhabited the reducedpalate â€“ plum jam, syrup, MDF furniture, â€˜licking a TV screenâ€™ and some spicywarmth to finish. From Mullâ€™s only distillery..” Drinkning Tip:“When you need a â€˜quickieâ€™.”- $98.99 + GST – ONLY 3 LEFT!
- 93.52: Wench with a Wrench – 58.4% – 9 Year – Refill Ex-Bourbon Barrel – Outturn: 230 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “ï»¿On the nose a fairy cake, vanilla slice, maple syrup sweetness gradually gave wayto nuts, apples, Dr Peppers and lilies; eventually, black olives and linseed or evenfish oil. The unreduced palate was waxy, mouth-coating and robust; with itsdiesel smoke, fudge and black pepper â€“ we imagined â€˜a feisty wench with awrenchâ€™ â€“ not for the faint-hearted. The reduced nose had burnt sticky toffeepudding and cherry lips, with oily rags that may even have been ignited! Thepalate, with water, was sweet and strange, but interesting (briny lemons, WD40,fishy fudge and â€˜dirty tabletâ€™). From Campbeltownâ€™s lesser-known distillery.” Drinking Tip: “While cleaning fishing tackle or watching.” – $102.99 + GST – ONLY 1 LEFT!
- 53.159: A Captain of Indusrty – 57% – 16 Year – Refill Ex-Bourbon Hogshead – Outturn: 287 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “Industrial bath salts, carbolic, lanolin and sheep dip, then bog myrtle, thyme,heather flowers, chopped apples and celery. Unlit fireworks in their box and cigarash. Sweet, clean and lightly cooling to taste (menthol cigarettes), with ash in thefinish. Water simplifies the aroma and makes it more grubby/industrial â€“ â€˜wellused electrical equipmentâ€™, minerals, batteries, soot. An oily texture and a sweettaste: smoky, with coal dust in the aftertaste and finish. We imagine theoperators contemplating the Paps of Jura through the massive windows of theirstill house.” Drinking Tip: “Watching the workers, cigar in hand.” - $142.99 + GST – ONLY 2 LEFT!
- G9.1: Sweet & Sour Melange – Single Grain Whisky – 57.8% – 11 Year – Outturn: 187 Bottles – Panel’s Tasting Note: “The nose balanced toffee, marzipan, glacÃ© cherries and lemon puff biscuitsagainst some spritzy, slightly acidic sherbet; we also found waxed paper,hazelnuts, greenery and geraniums. The unreduced palate had sharp, tropicalfruits and lemon peel; also new wood and then something spicy and savoury. Thereduced nose suggested peaches, cheesecake, woodland paths and a ruinedcastle by a lily-pad loch â€“ quite a landscape. The reduced palate seemed areasonable mixture of sweetness and astringency â€“ a sweet and sour mÃ©lange oftoffee, pineapple, green sappy wood with some white pepper spicy heat in thefinish. Captain Haddockâ€™s favourite dram, apparently.” Drinking Tip: “While Drinking tip: watching, or reading, Tintin.” - $103.99 + GST – ONLY 6 LEFT!
For more information on the Scotch Malt Whisky Society Canada visit www.smws.ca !