In recognition of the Way of St. James, a pilgrimage our owner Nancy Carten is about to embark on, we selected a range ofÂ wines from northern Spain and a lone product from Portugal.Â Seven wines in all were savored and the participants given the opportunity to stand-up for their favourites.
- Canals Nadal Cava (Penedes) â€“ while not from the El Camino route who doesnâ€™t like Spainâ€™s answer to sparkling wines. It got the evening started on the right foot… – $25.99
- Raul Peres Muti Albarino 2011 (Rias Baixas) â€“ a classic white wine from Rias Baixas region of Galicia.Â If you like you Pinot Grigios and Sauvignon Blanc then you will certainly find this wine to your liking. Fragrant minerality, lemon meringue, honeysuckle, nutmeg, and petrol notes on this bracing, intense, beautifully balanced wine. – $46.99
- Hermanos PeciÃ±a Chobeo de Pecina Blanco 2011 (Rioja) â€“ a white Rioja made from Viura aged in oak.Â It has mild, pleasant herbal and citrus notes on the nose and, on the palate, notes of fresh fruits round, soft and mouth filling. – $24.99
- Tares Bierzo Baltos 2011 (Bierzo) â€“ made of 100% Mencia.Â The wine was aged a short while in oak and has flavours of chocolate, coffee and smoke with the ripe black fruit notes behind.Â Itâ€™s soft silky tannins make this an easy drinking wine. – $20.99
- Villacreces Ribera del Duero “Pruno” 2011 (Ribera del Duero) â€“ Ribera del Duero wines a big and powerful and ready for big red meat.Â This full bodied wine is dense purple with sweet aromas of licorice, espresso roast, creme de cassis and blackberries. – $26.99
- Quinta Do Vallado Reserva 2010 (Douro Valley Portugal) â€“ while a little of the Spanish El Camino it represents a solid well balanced dry wine from the Douro in Portugal. Made pricipally from grapes used in making port, it is full bodied with dark fruit flavous of plums, blackberries and cassis with soft cedar tones. – $47.99
- Basilio Izquierdo B de Basilio Tinto 2008 (Rioja) â€“ already a classic Rioja made by Basilio Izquierdo who was the the winemaker behind CVNE.Â This wine represents a modern style but with roots in classic Rioja. Balanced with ripe fruit, integrated tannins and good acidity. – $62.99
The top three wines of the evening were:
- Quinta do Vallado Reserva 2010
- Basilio Izquierdo B de Basilio Tinto 2008 and the
- Villacreces Ribera del Duero “Pruno” 2011
Thanks to all that came to our event, we look forward to seeing you again.